The CLAS Small Grant Fund for Latin American Studies
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: May 1, 2017
- The CLAS Fund supports the work of Rutgers faculty and students interested in Latin American Studies. Awards amounts shall be based on need and the merit of the proposed project, but no request may exceed $2000. Past awards have generally ranged from $300 to $1000. Funding levels may vary from year to year, so awards may not be made to all applicants.
- Eligible applicants to the CLAS Fund are: Rutgers faculty members affiliated with the Center for Latin American Studies; graduate students whose research focuses on Latin America; and undergraduate students majoring or minoring in Latin American Studies. Priority will be given to faculty and students from SAS.
- Eligible activities include: expenses associated with independent research projects, during the summer or academic year; participation in language training or other courses required for the successful completion of future research; support of participation in field schools, international service learning, or study abroad activities; preparation and development of new LAS-related courses, or other activities that demonstrably enhance the work and goals of the CLAS at Rutgers.
- Preference will be given to faculty members and students who have been active in CLAS‐sponsored events and activities, have provided leadership in CLAS programs or mentoring to LAS students, and who have demonstrated commitment to the Center and its mission.
- Awardees and the amounts awarded will be determined by a committee composed of two CLAS Executive Committee members and the Director.
- Awardees will submit brief report to the Center of how they used the award, due within three months of the completion of the funded activity. The submission of this report is a requirement for the receipt of further awards from the CLAS Fund.
- Rutgers employees awardees are required to create and save an Expense Report in order to be reimbursed for expenses incurred under this award. Maria Lozano (email@example.com) in the CLAS office will assist with inputting the CLAS account number for the expense report. Non-employees awardees will be reimbursed via check request. Awardees must keep all original receipts for their reimbursement. Maria Lozano (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the CLAS office will assist you with the processing of the check request. All awardees be prepared to take care of your reimbursement paperwork, including translating documents and calculating exchange rates. All regular SAS travel and research reimbursement rules will be observed; for more information, please consult http://www.rutravel.rutgers.edu/.