Guidelines for Small Grant Fund for Latin American Studies (2018/19)
1. The Fund supports the work of Rutgers faculty and students interested in Latin American Studies. Awards are competitive and based on need and the merit of the proposed project. Past awards have generally ranged from $300 to $1000. No more than $1500 may be requested.
2. Eligible applicants are faculty members affiliated with the Center for Latin American Studies; graduate students whose research focuses on Latin America; and undergraduate juniors and seniors who are majoring or minoring in Latin American Studies. Undergraduate applicants need a brief letter of support from their faculty advisor.
3. Eligible activities include: expenses associated with independent research projects, during the summer or academic year; participation in language training or other courses required for the successful completion of future research; participation in field schools, international service learning, or study abroad activities; preparation and development of new LAS-related courses, or other activities that demonstrably enhance the work and goals of Latin American Studies at RU.
4. Preference will be given to faculty members and students who have been active in CLAS-sponsored events and activities, have provided leadership in CLAS programs or mentoring to LAS students, and who have demonstrated a commitment to the Center and its mission.
5. Awardees and amounts will be determined by a committee composed of CLAS Executive Committee members and the Director.
6. Awardees will submit a brief report on how they used the award, due within three months of the completion of the funded activity, but no later than September 1, 2019. This report should be written for a broader audience and will be posted on the CLAS website. This report is required for further awards from the Fund in the future.
7. Awardees who carry out research or participate in workshops, seminars, training will be required to present their work in an informal lunch-time workshop or symposium sponsored by CLAS.
8. Awardees who are Rutgers employees are required to create and save an Expense Report in order to be reimbursed for expenses incurred under this award. Maria Lozano in the CLAS office will assist with inputting the CLAS account number for the expense report. Non-employees awardees will be reimbursed via check request. Maria Lozano will assist you with the processing of the check request. All awardees must keep all original receipts for their reimbursement. All regular SAS travel and research reimbursement rules must be observed in creating the expense report; for more information, please consult http://www.rutravel.rutgers.edu/.
9. Please apply online at: https://www.sas.rutgers.edu/cms/clas/clas-fund-application
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: April 1, 2018
CLAS Small Grant Program Application
When logging on to the CLAS website to submit your application please be prepared to enter the information listed below. If you have any questions about the CLAS Fund or the application process, please email CLAS administrator Maria Lozano at: email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application!
2. Email, phone number, and physical address
3. Department, Degree Program, Major/Minor
4. Eligibility criteria (CLAS faculty affiliate, graduate student, undergraduate LAS major/minor)
5. 1-2 sentence description of the proposed activity
6. List other sources of financial support for your research (not salary) received for the current academic year.
7. Amount requested
8. Evidence of demonstrated participation in CLAS and/or Latin American Studies at Rutgers.
9. Description of the proposed activity for which you are seeking support, not to exceed 500 words.
10. An itemized budget and budget justification along with your application.
11. If you have applied for or have received funding from other sources for the activity you are proposing here, please list date, theme and amount requested/received.
12. If you have previously received a CLAS Fund award, please list year and amount.