Guidelines for Small Grant Fund for Latin American Studies (2021/22)
1. The Fund supports the work of Rutgers faculty and students interested in Latin American Studies. Awards are competitive and based on need and the merit of the proposed research project. Past awards have generally ranged from $300 to $1500. No more than $1500 may be requested.
2. Eligible applicants are faculty members affiliated with the Center for Latin American Studies; graduate students whose research focuses on Latin America; and undergraduate juniors and seniors who are majoring or minoring in Latin American Studies. Undergraduate applicants need a brief letter of support from their faculty advisor.
3. Eligible activities include:
- Expenses associated with research projects in Latin America and the Caribbean or its diasporas during the summer or academic year.
- Participation in language training or other courses required for successful completion of future research.
- Participation in field schools, international service learning, or study abroad activities
- Preparation and development of new LAS-related courses.
- Other activities that demonstrably enhance the work and goals of Latin American Studies at Rutgers University.
4. Preference will be given to faculty members and students who have been active in CLAS-sponsored events and activities, have provided leadership in CLAS programs or mentoring to LAS students, and who have demonstrated a commitment to the Center and its mission.
5. Awardees and amounts will be determined by a committee composed of CLAS Executive Committee members and the Director.
6. Awardees will submit a brief report on how they used the award, due within three months of the completion of the funded activity, but no later than September 1, 2022. This report should be written for a broad audience and will be posted on the CLAS website. This report is required for further awards from CLAS grants in the future.
7. Awardees who carry out research or participate in workshops, seminars, training will be required to present their work in an informal workshop or symposium organized by CLAS in Spring 2022.
8. Awardees are required to attend a workshop in May 2021 by invitation from Maria Ealey, to become familiar with how to create and save an Expense Report in order to get reimbursed for expenses incurred. Ms. Ealey will also review draft expense report before submitting. Non-employee awardees will be reimbursed via check request but are also required to attend the workshop. Maria Ealey will assist you with the processing of the check request. All awardees must keep all original receipts for their reimbursement. All regular SAS travel and research reimbursement rules must be observed in creating the expense report. For more information please consult http://www.rutravel.rutgers.edu/.
9. Please apply online at: https://clas.rutgers.edu/research/apply-for-a-grant
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: Friday, April 16, 2021. Awardees will be notified by April 30, 2021.