Guidelines for Student Small Grant Fund Applications from the Center for Latin American Studies (Spring 2022 application cycle)
Deadline: March 1 2022; Awardees will be notified by around April 1 2022.
1. The grants support the work of Rutgers students interested in Latin American Studies. Awards are competitive and based on need and the merit of the proposed research project. No more than $1500 may be requested and often awards are not for the full amount requested. Payment will likely be made through payroll if grant recipient is an employee. Please consider this when designing budget. Non-employee awardees will be reimbursed via check request
2. Eligible applicants are graduate students whose research focuses on Latin America; and undergraduate juniors and sophomores with a record of study in Latin American Studies or Caribbean Studies. Undergraduate applicants need a brief letter of support from a faculty advisor or mentor.
3. Eligible activities include:
- Expenses associated with research projects in Latin America and the Caribbean or its diasporas during the summer or academic year.
- Participation in language training or other courses required for successful completion of future research.
- Participation in field schools, international service learning, or study abroad activities
- Other activities that demonstrably enhance the work and goals of Latin American Studies at Rutgers University.
4. Preference will be given to students who have been active in CLAS-sponsored events and activities, have provided leadership in CLAS programs or mentoring to LAS students, and who have demonstrated a commitment to the Center and its mission. Priority is also given to undergraduate majors and minors in CLAS and Caribbean Studies (LatCar).
5. Awardees and amounts will be determined by a committee composed of CLAS Faculty Affiliates, Executive Committee members and the CLAS Director.
6. Awardees will submit a brief report on how they used the award, due within three months of the completion of the funded activity, but no later than July 1, 2023. This report should be written for a broad audience and will be posted on the CLAS website. This report is required for further awards from CLAS grants in the future.
7. Awardees who carry out research or participate in workshops, seminars, training will be required to present their work in an informal workshop or symposium organized by CLAS in Spring 2023.
8. . Maria Ealey will assist you with the processing of payments. All regular SAS travel rules must be observed .For more information please consult http://www.rutravel.rutgers.edu/.